The Hadley School for the Blind has provided correspondence education to over 80,000 graduates since its inception in 1920. William Hadley, a schoolteacher who lost his sight later in life, founded the school. Saddened and frustrated by the lack of educational opportunities for blind people, Mr. Hadley, in collaboration with leading ophthalmologist, Dr. E.V.L. Brown, decided to launch the Hadley School for the Blind. Since then, the Hadley School has provided free education to any blind person who asks for it with over 100 courses in six course areas to choose from. The school does not seek or receive any governmental funding and is funded solely by private donations. As the world's single largest Braille educator, Hadley students are located in all fifty states and over seventy foreign countries.